Covid 19 information
Our industry is working closely with the Ministry of Health, government agencies, and the Dental Council of New Zealand to ensure that New Zealand continues in its goal to control COVID-19. This means physical distancing, increased infection control measures, and additional precautions.
We require you to check in for contact tracing purposes. We are using the NZ COVID Tracer App in our clinic.
The Ministry of Health has advised that access to essential services under the protection framework will not be restricted based on vaccination status, however to help with our Risk Management, please let us know of your vaccination status before your future appointment.
If the patient is under 12 years of age please let us know the vaccination status of the accompanying guardian.
Please be rest assured that we are following the Ministry of Health, Dental Council and NZ Dental Association guidelines to the best of our ability for the health and safety of both our patients and our staff.
Before your appointment : Wellness screen
Before we can confirm your appointment we will email you with a series of questions to answer and reply to us, ensuring you are healthy and able to attend your appointment safely. The health questionnaire includes these questions (as per Ministry of Health guidelines):
- Do you have a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19?
- Do you or any member of your household have COVID-19 or are you waiting for a COVID-19 PCR test result?
- Are you required to self-isolate?
- Do you have any other reason to think that you are at risk of having COVID-19?
- Do you have ANY of the following symptoms now, or in the last 14 days?
· Fever, cough, shortness of breath
· Muscle aches, loss of smell, sore throat
· Generally feeling unwell with no other likely diagnosis
Please note. Our staff will also be asked the same questions every day.
If you answer YES to any of the questions: Please call us before your appointment to discuss options
Tips and advice
- Keep up the oral hygiene! Brush three times a day, followed by interproximal brush use or a WaterPik. As an adjunct, use a fluoride mouth rinse (e.g. Fluoriguard 225ppm) and/or an antibacterial mouth rinse (e.g. Peroxyl), once a day.
- Maintain a low sugar diet. Where possible minimise snacking on sugars and drinks with added sugar. Fizzy drinks should be avoided in particular.
- Avoid hard and sticky foodstuffs that could break the brace wire or fracture brackets (debond) off a tooth (e.g. toffees, Minties, ice, pork crackling, corn chips).
- Elastic and wax supplies: If you are running out of elastics or wax, please email us and we will endeavour to courier some out to you, as stocks allow.
- Tips on sending us photos (PDF courtesy of Dunedin Orthodontics Ltd)
Handling minor orthodontic emergencies at home
– If a bracket breaks off and it is not causing discomfort, then it is not urgent and can be remedied at your next adjustment appointment.
– If a bracket breaks off and/or a wire is sticking out into the your cheeks or gums and is causing pain. I would suggest that you try to remove this wire, by cutting it with some pliers/nail clippers or removing it entirely if you feel comfortable doing so. Please make sure they are cleaned first.
– If a bracket with elastics on breaks off, do not wear the elastics on either side until we replace the lost bracket. please call our office to make a appointment.
– If an o-ring comes off this is not an emergency. This can wait for your next adjustment appointment.
– If the blue blobs which props your bite open breaks, please be careful with what you eat in the meantime as you may be biting on your brackets, and this may result in the brackets breaking.
During office hours, please call us on 04-385-7213 or email email@example.com and one of our team who can guide you through an emergency. if its after hours please see below
If you have an emergency outside or office hours please contact your current orthodontist
Dr Wei Lin (Orthodontist) email- firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Michael Taylor (Orthodontist) via email – email@example.com
Crystal Rolfe (Practice Manager) via Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Courtenay Orthodontics teams team